The CSSA Field Trips Program organizes annual members-only tours to native habitats of cacti and other succulents. There are two separate field trips programs. The Convention Series consists of pre- and post-convention trips within the United States and Mexico and are planned to coincide with our biennial conventions (in odd-numbered years). The Tour 2000 Series has lengthier trips to far-flung localities in South America and Africa, these in even-numbered years. Succulent plants are fantastic creations of nature, and fortunately they lend themselves to container cultivation, so anyone with a sunny windowsill or patio can appreciate them at home. But an even greater thrill is to see the plants growing in their native habitats, which can be as variable, exotic and fascinating as the plants themselves.
The following upcoming trips are planned or under consideration:
- 2015 — Central Mexico (pre-convention trip). June 2-14 (approximate).
- 2015 — Joshua trees & one-armed-bandits: Las Vegas & the succulents of the Mojave Desert (post-convention trip). June 20-25 (approximate).
- 2016 — Peru
- 2018 — Madagascar
- Also under consideration: South Africa, Tanzania, Bolivia, Brazil.
Additional information about CSSA field trips can be found in the FAQs section.
Past CSSA trips:
- Tour 2000 Series
- 2000: Big Bend,Texas
- 2002: Namibia and the Richtersveld of South Africa
- 2004: Madagascar
- 2004: Chile
- 2006: Southern Kenya
- 2008: Northeastern Brazil
- 2010: Oaxaca, Mexico
- 2012: Northwestern Argentina
- 2014: Canary Islands.
- Convention Series
- 2001: Anza Borrego and Joshua Tree
- 2005: Four Corners Area
- 2007: Baja California, Mexico
- 2009: Sonora, Mexico
- 2013: Big Bend, Texas